Sunday, July 6, 2008

It's a Boy!



Josh and I had our 20-week ultrasound on Wednesday. It revealed a healthy, perfect little boy. We are so grateful.

The ultrasound tech measured everything from his brain to his kidneys. We saw his stomach, bladder, the four chambers of his heart -- everything. He weighed 13 ounces and was even measuring a few days ahead of his due date. My favorite shot of all was his profile. It was a glimpse into what he looks like. Many of my friends say that that picture in the womb is very accurate as to what they look like outside the womb. How exciting to get a quick look at his sweet face and the baby for which I've dreamed about and tried to imagine for so long. Do you remember the commercial from GE advertising their ultrasound machines that was on quite some time ago? The background music was Roberta Flack's, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face." I couldn't help but grin ear to ear upon finally getting a glimpse at a very developed profile of what finally resembled a baby. My baby.

My cervix was measuring about 4 cm and was long and closed. The doctor now feels that incompetent cervix has been ruled out and now the concern is premature labor. I'll go back at 24 weeks to start the every two week monitoring again. I'll also start the every 4 week growth checks of the baby at 24 weeks as well.

I had hoped to walk down to the good ole' fertility doc's office to say hi, but it was too late when we finally got out of there. I wanted to let them know I was still very much in the game. :-) All glory to God!

Josh felt the baby move on June 30th and I really started to feel movement right at about 20 weeks last weekend. I had flutters before, but wasn't sure if that was him, but there was no doubt last weekend. I am enjoying singing to him and praying for him knowing he can hear my voice now.

I am enjoying every minute of being pregnant and trying not to take one single day of it for granted. I think mostly because I just know how fortunate I am to be where I am today.

3 comments:

sara said...

Congrats Becca on a great ultrasound. You sound so happy in your post - I can just picture you grinning as you type. It truly makes my heart smile! Isn't it just the best thing that we've been blessed with - I'm so happy we're sharing this great ride!!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! So many little boys growing in anomalied uteri at the moment.

sara said...

Thanks for the good wishes about the girl and the birthday - it is funny that we have complete mirror images of everything! As far as the top - I got it at Mimi maternity. I've had a little better luck there than at motherhood maternity even though technically they're owned by one giant company. I hope you find some clothes you love. But you're so darn cute you'll look awesome in anything you wear!